By providing concrete techniques teachers can use immediately, this workshop tackles two of today’s most urgent challenges: the more rigorous Common Core and SAT standards as well as the distinct demands of closing the achievement gap in literacy.
Join facilitators Doug Lemov, Erica Woolway, Colleen Driggs, and Jen Rugani to learn our most up-to-date guidance on reading as described in Reading Reconsidered: A Practical Guide to Rigorous Literacy Instruction. This practice-intensive workshop provides instructional leaders with the tools to deliver high quality literacy training and to help drive results.
YOU WILL GAIN:
- An understanding of a variety of instructional techniques that support students in becoming college-ready readers
- A framework for analyzing text complexity and selecting texts beyond lexile level
- Practice activities that broaden and strengthen teachers’ capacity to lead literacy instruction in English Language Arts and across all content areas
- Access to over 50 clips and analysis talking points that demonstrate Reading Reconsidered techniques in action
WE WILL ANALYZE AND PRACTICE:
- Close Reading — Techniques for teaching students how to unpack meaning from texts that are above their comfort level.
- Knowledge Building — A set of tools to intentionally build knowledge in a literacy classroom
- Implicit Vocabulary — How to teach and reinforce vocabulary acquisition during reading
- Writing for Reading — How to leverage the synergies between reading and writing to prepare students to be excellent writers as well as readers
- Maximizing Road Miles — The amount of reading students do, through a balance of oral and silent reading)
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
Schools that purchase the Implementation Toolkit License will receive a link to download copies of all workshop materials, as well as additional training materials, including:
- Full description of all techniques, methods, and practice activities covered in the training
- PowerPoint deck used in the workshop
- All video clips shown and talking points for each clip
- Additional clips with complete talking points
- Lesson plans for school-wide and individual PD activities to help leaders train teachers
- Aligned coaching tools and other materials to maximize teacher development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Our workshops are a “Train the Trainer” model. We prepare instructional leaders and school leadership teams to deliver excellent training on Teach Like a Champion 2.0, Reading Reconsidered, and Practice Perfect techniques. We typically recommend this workshop for teachers, literacy specialists, and leaders grades 2-12. Schools usually send a team of two to five instructional leaders and teachers in order to have several key team members responsible for turnkeying the work back at their campuses.