To ensure all students succeed academically, champion teachers deliver instruction that maximizes Ratio—boosting the number of students who actively participate and the depth of the thinking they do. Join Doug Lemov, Erica Woolway, Hilary Lewis, and Jen Rugani in a Train the Trainer workshop to prepare teachers to deliver high quality training on techniques that can boost Ratio in the classroom.
The workshop describes tools for building the foundation of knowledge that’s critical to boosting Ratio and then examines three pathways teachers can follow to increase breadth of participation and depth of thinking: Writing, Discussion, and Questioning. Participants will leave equipped to train teachers on how to achieve the twin goals of students participating fully and thinking deeply.
YOU WILL GAIN:
- A framework for analyzing student engagement in a classroom—Participation Ratio and Think Ratio.
- An understanding of the critical role of knowledge–the content pre-requisite–in achieving Ratio
- Practice activities that will broaden teachers’ capacity to increase breadth and depth of participation in their classrooms
WE WILL ANALYZE AND PRACTICE:
- Teach Like a Champion 2.0 techniques to increase Ratio through writing: Everybody Writes, Art of the Sentence, Show Call
- Teach Like a Champion 2.0 techniques to increase Ratio through discussion: Habits of Discussion, Turn and Talk
- Teach Like a Champion 2.0 techniques to increase Ratio through questioning: Cold Call, Wait Time
- Tools to build and reinforce background knowledge
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
Schools that purchase the Implementation Toolkit License will receive a link to download copies of all workshop materials, as well as additional training materials, including:
- Full description of all techniques, methods, and practice activities covered in the training
- PowerPoint deck used in the workshop
- All video clips shown and talking points for each clip
- Additional clips with complete talking points
- Lesson plans for school-wide and individual PD activities to help leaders train teachers
- Aligned coaching tools and other materials to maximize teacher development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Our workshops are a “Train the Trainer” model. We prepare instructional leaders and school leadership teams to deliver excellent training on Teach Like a Champion 2.0 techniques. Schools typically send a team of two to five instructional leaders and teachers in order to have several key team members responsible for turnkeying the work back at their campuses.