Join facilitators Doug Lemov, Erica Woolway, and Maggie Johnson to learn our most up-to-date guidance on reading as described in Reading Reconsidered: A Practical Guide to Rigorous Literacy Instruction.
By providing concrete techniques teachers can use immediately, this workshop tackles one of today’s most urgent challenges: the distinct demands of closing the achievement gap in literacy. This “hands-on” workshop provides instructional leaders with the tools to deliver high quality literacy training and to help drive results.
YOU WILL GAIN:
- An understanding of a variety of instructional techniques that support students in becoming university ready readers
- A framework for analyzing text complexity and selecting texts beyond lexile level
- Practice activities that broaden and strengthen teachers’ capacity to lead literacy instruction in English Language Arts and across all content areas
- Access to over 50 clips and analysis talking points that demonstrate Reading Reconsidered techniques in action
WE WILL ANALYZE AND PRACTICE:
- Close Reading — Techniques for teaching students how to unpack meaning from texts that are above their comfort level.
- Embedding Non-Fiction — How to ensure reading non-fiction is engaging to students and useful in reducing the knowledge deficit
- Implicit Vocabulary — How to teach and reinforce vocabulary acquisition during reading
- Writing for Reading — How to leverage the synergies between reading and writing to prepare students to be excellent writers as well as readers
- Maximizing Road Miles — The amount of reading students do, through a balance of oral and silent reading)
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
Attendees will leave prepared with the video clips discussed at the workshop, as well as additional training materials, including:
- Full description of all techniques, methods, and practice activities covered in the training
- Talking points for each video clip
- Additional clips with complete talking points
- Lesson plans for school-wide and individual PD activities to help leaders train teachers
- Aligned coaching tools and other materials to maximize teacher development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Our workshops are delivered in a “Train the Trainer” model. We prepare instructional leaders and school leadership teams to deliver excellent training on Teach Like a Champion 2.0, Reading Reconsidered, and Practice Perfect techniques. We typically recommend this workshop for teachers, literacy specialists, and leaders who work in Year 3 through secondary schools. Schools usually send a team of two to five instructional leaders and teachers.
The price for this workshop is 640£ for the training and 640£ per school license.