A practical resource to make the 49 techniques your own.
In his acclaimed book Teach Like a Champion, Doug Lemov shares 49 essential techniques used by excellent teachers. In his companion Field Guide, he further explores those techniques in a practical workbook. With the Teach Like a Champion Field Guide, teachers have an indispensable resource that complements their classroom application of Lemov’s techniques.
For each technique, hands-on learning is supported by numerous activities that are designed to accompany the practitioner on the journey to become a champion teacher. The activities span three stages: learning the techniques, preparing to use the techniques, and actual practice.
The book includes thirty video clips of champion teachers with analysis from the author. It also includes helpful charts for teachers to track their own progress and to record feedback from colleagues. This is a must-have workbook for every teacher, from beginner to veteran. It’s also a great tool for professional development and study groups.
Most importantly, by using the Field Guide, teachers will be prepared to successfully unlock the talent and skill in all their students.
A look at what’s inside:
- An overview of each technique.
- A simple self-assessment to gauge your comfort level with each technique.
- Prompts for analyzing video clips of real teachers demonstrating the techniques in their classrooms (with sample answers provided).
- Practice exercises to do on your own (adaptable for partner or group work).
- Group role plays, discussions, and exercises (adaptable for individual work).
- Step-by-step suggestions for how to try out the technique in your classroom.
- How to trouble-shoot the common challenges that occur when implementing the techniques.
- Creative suggestions for implementation.
- A journal space to record your notes and progress towards mastery.
will publish this summer! Pre-order your copy here.
As a K-12 administrator and professional development trainer, I find that Lemov's work has provided our faculty with a shared vocabulary, a common set of expectations, and techniques that can be implemented immediately.
Teach Like a Champion, both the book and Field Guide, offer hard-hitting ways to help teachers create classrooms that embody high expectations. This is professional development in its best form.
The 49 techniques have had a powerful impact within our district. From Teach Like a Champion we've gained a deeper understanding of teaching, and this Field Guide is a great help as we continue our progress.
Doug Lemov has captured in one place the specific, practical techniques used by the best teachers in some of our country’s best urban schools. Any teacher, principal, or policymaker who is interested in what it takes on a classroom level to close the achievement gap should read this book.